Well, congratulations on being engaged to the person of your dreams. It’s now the moment to plan the celebration towards spending the rest of your life with your love.
The Nigerian traditional wedding is a whole lot of fun. This is why you need to start planning effectively immediately you get engaged to your boo.
To avoid disappointments on the D day and to ensure that the best vendors are available for your ceremony, read the checklist for planning your traditional wedding.
- The groom should announce the engagement to the bride’s family.
Traditionally, the groom visit the bride’s family along with his and formally ask for her hand in marriage.
- You should decide on the type of wedding ceremonies you want and the ones you don’t.
Do you want the religious wedding ceremony only or you want just the court wedding?
Do you plan on having multiple wedding types? All that depends on you!
- Decide if you want your court wedding and traditional ceremony on the same day or not. If you want it the same day, decide if it will be held in the same reception or a separate venue will be for each event.
If you plan on having them at different days, decide the length of time you want it apart from each other.
- Based on your wedding types, decide on which one you want as elaborate and the one as low key.
- The groom should ask the bride’s Parents about the procedures for the customary traditional wedding rites.
This is to know the amount for the bride price and to determine what is required to present to the bride’s family during the traditional wedding.
- Select a date and venue for the traditional wedding and confirm if friends and family will be available on the chosen date.
- Set your budget and decide how much you can afford for your ceremony.
- Decide on who you want at your traditional wedding. Create your guest list and determine those you choose to invite to celebrate your day with you.
- Determine the dressing for your ceremony. Do you want a coordinated guest outfits? If yes, inform your wedding guests beforehand.
- Decide on the traditional wedding attire to wear as the bride and groom and choose accessories that complement it.
- Book a good venue for your traditional wedding and hire a skilled photographer that will create memories of your day.
You should also plan on the catering services. Do you wish to hire a caterer or you prefer that family members take over the kitchen?
- Decide if you would need a wedding planner or if you have the time and resources to plan your day yourself!
Maryam is a poet, blogger, graphics artist, and love coach. She mentors other ladies on finding the right life partner and communicating effectively in their relationships. She’s passionate about helping couples to plan & organize romantic weddings.
Maryam shares awesome Wedding Tips and Ideas and writes about trends in Wedding Fashion.